March 25, 2010

Moving plants


I've been considering the mature sizes of bushes. I don't want to get trapped into doing a lot of pruning to keep plants under control because they don't have room to grow to their desired size. Since my garden is only three years old, my plants aren't too large to move without too much difficulty. Rhododendron and hydrangea are fairly easy to move since their roots are shallow. The flowering quince I moved last week was not easy! But it will be happier with room to grow and not have me hacking away at it.

Don't be afraid to move a plant that is crowded, or to remove a plant that is diseased or not performing. I moved two rhododendron to a bed with a little more shade and much better drainage. I said goodbye to an escallonia, three rhododendron and three roses. I replaced the roses with disease-resistant ones. Be sure to bring a list of disease-resistant roses with you when shopping for roses!

No comments:

Post a Comment