July 5, 2010

A new flower bed!

We finally decided to plant flowers instead of putting in a gas fire pit - at least for now. So I dug up the old crummy soil to loosen it up. then I mixed in several bags of new soil and compost to make a nice rich bed.

I transplanted agapanthus and canna lilies from another bed. I bought Calla lilies ('Lemon Drop'), white Coneflower, Liatris, Alstroemeria, and Gaura. This is near the pool in the area I call my 'hot garden', so the flowers need to be bright and many of them are tropical looking.

I placed some flagstones so I can get into the bed to weed and groom plants.

The plant in the pot is a red banana, surrounded by bacopa. Red banana is not hardy - I am using it as an annual, but I may overwinter it in the storage room.

Click on photos to see them larger.

1 comment: