November 22, 2011

Japanese-inspired garden bed

I redid my "coral bed" into a more serene and balanced garden. The Burien Master Gardeners clinic group had a great presentation about Japanese garden design, and I was inspired to show some restraint! I dug out (and transplanted elsewhere) six hardy fuchsias that were too large for this garden. I also moved out an astilbe and some columbines.

I moved in two dwarf plants that are well-suited to Japanese gardens: Ginkgo biloba 'Mariken' and a dwarf Pomegranite (Punica granatum 'Nana'). I also added several ferns.

I changed out a bronze statue for a Japanese lantern. I want to add some small stepping stones, so I can circle through the garden on the big stones and the stepping stones. (I also had to move some of the other plants a little to make room to walk through.)

It looks pretty good for late November. You can see a 'before' picture in my October 19 post.

No comments:

Post a Comment