March 10, 2012

Pruning Berberis thunbergii "Rose Glow" (Japanese Barberry) bushes

I pruned the barberry plants in the parking strip. This is not a fun task because of the thorns, but I managed without too many scratches by using long-handled loppers to cut and to pick up pruned branch and place directly into the yard waste bin. I pruned the oldest cane-like branches to about one inch from the ground (as low as I could get). Many of these were in the center of the bush, so it eliminated crowding. I also pruned some branches that were getting too close to the sidewalk. I didn't want dense shrubs, so I only pruned branches to the ground. (Cutting part way would cause branching.)

Other cane-like plants I prune in a similar manner are Nandinas (Heavenly Bamboo) and Hydrangeas. Cutting branches (canes) to the ground will encourage strong new canes to come up from the base of the plant.

No comments:

Post a Comment