June 26, 2013

Landscape Design Award

I was awarded the Landscape Design Award by the Washington State Federation of Garden Clubs for my "red, white, and blue" flower bed. This is the bed next to the spa.

The photos and description below are from my application:




The objectives of this garden bed were to have an attractive flower bed to appeal to people sitting nearby on the patio (or in the spa) and to attract hummingbirds and bees (to support pollinators). In addition, we didn’t want plants too tall to block the view or create much shade.
The Choisya ternata ‘Aztec Pearl’ and Heuchera ‘Crimson Curl’ provide evergreen year-round structure, along with the garden art. The fuchsias and agapanthus are attractive well into the fall.
While several of the plants were still small, I filled in with annuals, as shown in the photos. In 2012, I planted white wax begonias along the eastern edge of the bed, and I planted red snapdragons in empty spaces throughout the bed. I also had a pot with a Brugmansia (Angel’s Trumpet) sitting on one of the boulders. The plants have now grown enough so I no longer need to fill in with annuals.

No comments:

Post a Comment