January 10, 2014

Insects in my worm bin - Springtails

Yuk!  I was about to put some lettuce in my worm bin and discovered millions of very tiny white bugs. I used a magnifying glass and took pictures, so I could get a closer look at them. I've determined they are Springtails and not harmful. But I think the bin is too moist, so I've added more shredded newspaper and dry leaves, and I am leaving the top off for while. Since there is uneaten food, I'm going to cut back on the amount of food I add to the bin. My worms seem to prefer lettuce over other produce, and we generate more than enough lettuce to feed them, so that is mostly what they get to eat.

Here is a photo of one of my red wigglers with masses of these tiny insects in the drainage tray.
Here is my worm bin, showing some of the leaves and shredded newspaper I added:

No comments:

Post a Comment