March 23, 2016

Gunneras have emerged: Gunnera tinctoria and Gunnera manicata

It is fun to watch the Gunnera plants emerge and grow throughout the spring and summer.
Here is a photo of one of my plants. They are all next the my little stream, so I don't have to worry about watering them. I might toss a little fertilizer on them once during the spring, but that's all that is needed.
The beginning of November, we cut the leaves off and covered the crowns of the plants to provide winter protections. It probably was not needed during our warm winter, and it was the first time I'd done this. It is a good idea though.

This is Gunnera tinctoria. I also have Gunnera manicata a bit further down the stream. They produced "babies" last year, so I was able to separate them into a few additional plants.

No comments:

Post a Comment