September 15, 2010

Rearranging the garden

It's a great time to move plants. The soil is warm and will help the roots recover and grow. And we will have plenty of rainfall to water the plants.

I've dug up and divided several plants for my sons' new houses. I've also removed some hosta plants that are not happy in my sunny yard and will prefer the shade in Steve's yard.

The work ahead of me is to rearrange a number of plants in my front yard. I've got orange canna lily flowers in the spa bed with a lot of Santa Claus fuchsia. And I've got pink gauras in the tropical bed. So I'm going to be switching plants to get the oranges together. I've always found orange a difficult color to blend in the garden. So I will try to contain it in the tropical bed. There the orange cannas can mix with yellow cannas and callas, purple liatris and cannas, orange and yellow alstroemeria, white coneflowers, and other plants with hot colors and bold foliage.

I will move the pink gauras to other beds. They will fill in empty spots nicely. Lots of digging ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment