October 5, 2010

Asclepias physocarpa

I got some unusual plants in July from deGro Flower and Garden Co. They had a booth at the garden I worked at for Federal Way Symphony Garden Tour. They regularly have a table at the Puyallup Farmer's Market. Some of these are zone 8, which is officially my garden. However, they probably won't like to be as wet as we get. With the cold predicted this winter with La Nina, I'm going to dig up more plants than usual to over-winter in the storage room (like a garage).

I already dug up my banana plants and have in four pots. I also potted up the cestrum, and I may keep it in the pot when I bring it out in the spring.

One of my unusual plants is the "hairy balls" plant. It has very interesting seed pods. I took a picture showing them at Kew Gardens in September 2009. Here is that photo as well as a photo of my plant.

No comments:

Post a Comment