October 1, 2010

Darwin Hybrid Tulip Tulipa 'Apeldoorn'

I saw big bags of these tulips at Lowe's about a week ago. I planted two batches of these three years ago and they have returned better than ever each year. There are only a couple varieties of tulips that return each year. This is one. The species tulips are another type.

For tulips, remember to water if there is a dry spell in the spring. After they finish blooming, they don't want to be watered. I have them along the driveway side of my rose garden. This is a great spot because the roses are watered with drip irrigation, so the happy tulips don't get watered.

The other area I've planted them is along the bed leading up to front door. This area does get irrigation, and they are doing very well. So they must not get too much water.

Here is a photo from last April showing the Apeldoorn tulips. The center is very dark, almost black. I highly recommend planting these - it is nice to get more than one good year for the trouble. Although I admit I planted some other tulips this year with the expectation that I will just get one good year. I planted some in a big pot and others in bed above the upper driveway.

Finally, plant tulips nice and deep - a full 6 inches. Might deter some squirrel feeding, and they will be happier in the long run.

No comments:

Post a Comment