March 16, 2011

A few March garden activities

Ferns: If you have ferns and have not yet trimmed the old fronds, do it now so the new ones won't get in the way. In a few weeks, your ferns will look great. This photo shows the new fronds curled up tight (for now).

Hardy fuchsia: Trim the old wood. New growth will come from the roots, and the plant will look better in the spring and summer. This photo shows new growth coming from the bottom of one fuchsia, but most of mine don't show much new growth yet.

Hostas: Clean up any old leaves and twigs. The new growth is just beginning, and the slugs will go crazy. Use an iron phosphate slug bait, such as Sluggo, which is not harmful to animals.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Debbie, I just previewed and accepted your blog to Blotanical. I'm just a click away if you have any questions. Enjoy your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the reminder about tidying up. I need to get out in the garden and clear away last year's fronds on my Fiddlehead Ferns. Check out my blog about it at http://plantpostings.blogspot.com/2011/01/fertile-fronds.html. Very nice blog! I like your header photo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your garden is always inspirational! It's a reminder that I need to clean my flower beds. Fortunately I found time to plant the lobelias again in front of my house. Thanks again for the tip! I've planted them every year since you recommended them.

    ReplyDelete