March 7, 2011

Pruning Roses

I worked in between rain showers and got my roses pruned (along with the roses at Foundation House). I had four or five roses that had to be replaced due to winter damage. Well, two of them were actually poor performers, because I had not bought a high enough quality plant last year. I bought four bare root plants and one potted. Hybrid Teas: two Pascali (white) and one Olympiad (red). Grandifloras: one Dick Clark (multi-colored cherry, pink, cream ) and one Gold Medal (Golden Yellow).

Planting:
I soaked the bare root rose bushes, then trimmed the roots and some of the branches (to just above outward facing buds). I mixed some compost with castings from my worm bin and soil, and I added alfalfa meal and super phosphate. This mixture went in a little mound in the bottom of the hole. I spread the roots over the mound, filled in about 2/3 of the hole, watered, and filled in the rest.

Pruning:
I removed the dead, diseased, and tiny canes (also those that faced inwards). I trimmed the remaining (generally three to five) strong canes to 1/4 inch above an outward facing bud and down to where the pith was creamy colored. Finally, I removed any old leaves and raked debris from the bed (to help prevent disease).

1 comment:

  1. Envious that it's time for you to prune. Still too early here, but soon.

    ReplyDelete