August 5, 2012

Grooming Daylilies

Last week I groomed my daylilies. Most daylily tidying can be done by just pulling out the dried leaves and the stems that have finished blooming. Occasionally I couldn't get all of a finished stem, so just left it for now. Easy - and the plants look much nicer. They continue to produce more blooms when  regularly dead-headed. This photo shows one of my Stella d'Oro daylilies and the area above where I dug out several siberian iris.

I dug out two daylily plants from my perennial bed that were too hard to get to for clean-up, and they were not producing many blooms. They had gotten big and needed dividing, but I decided they were not strong enough performers for my limited-space bed. Then I had room for new plants! I put in a dwarf white bellflower, two dwarf variegated agapanthus, and three small hardy fuchsias.

No comments:

Post a Comment