December 6, 2012

my gardening room

I'm lucky to have a nice big room for potting, storing tools, and overwintering plants. Here is a photo showing it today.

I have my red banana plant and several Angel's Trumpets (Brugmansia). In October, I repotted them before bringing them in. I root-pruned and cut back the brugmansia, and I will prune it again in the spring. I have several Elephant's Ears (Colocasia) that do very well in this room all winter. I also have two inside the house for the winter. I'm also overwintering Abutilons, a few geraniums, cannas, and some hardy fuchsia starts.

We changed out the fluorescent bulbs for full-spectrum lights, and the pool equipment keeps the room fairly warm - so far staying at 60 (never less than 50). So the room has ended up being a good overwintering spot. I 'm hoping Santa will bring me a new potting bench.

No comments:

Post a Comment