October 19, 2013

Viburnum plicatum tomentosum 'Mariesii' - Doublefile viburnum

A quick post with a photo of my hillside, showing the lovely color of the double-file viburnum. This variety starts turning a lovely bronze color in July! The first year, I thought they were planted in too much sun, so I moved them from their original location to the hillside. Then I learned that the color change is a feature of this variety. Well, I am happy to have them as a feature planting on my hillside. I started with five plants, but I now have seven, because I started some new plants from cuttings. I am lucky there is plenty of room for them in this location. I like to place plants where they have room to grow to their mature sizes (and beyond) without having to prune. They look much better in their natural shape, and it is less work.

The photo also shows the hardy fuchsia 'Army Nurse', still blooming away. I just counted and discovered I have 21 different varieties of hardy fuchsia growing in my yard (three plants of most varieties).


No comments:

Post a Comment